14 Jul Signs a Career as an IT Sales Professional is for You
An IT Sales Professional uses technical and product knowledge to advise commercial clients on the purchase of hardware and software products to suit their business requirements. You will also support customers in after-sales care, supporting integration and advising on appropriate user training. Here are the signs you’d make a good IT Sales Professional:
- a high level of technical understanding and enthusiasm for new technology
- self-motivation, a competitive attitude, results-driven focus
- resilience and the ability to work well under pressure
- confident presentation skills and a professional telephone manner
- time-management skills and the ability to prioritise your workload
- attention to detail
- articulate, persuasive and influential verbal communication skills
- business awareness
- a full, clean driving licence.
You want to…
- gain an understanding of customers’ specific business requirements and apply product knowledge to meet them
- carry out business development calls in order to create interest in products and services
- identify and develop new business through networking
- deliver demonstrations of software to customers
- market and promote a portfolio of products by writing sales literature and attending industry events
- maintain awareness of changing software and hardware systems
- provide technical advice to customers on the installation and use of computer systems and networks after the sale
- network with existing customers in order to maintain links and promote additional products and upgrades
- handle hardware or software problems and faults, referring on to specialist technical colleagues where appropriate
- respond to tender documents, proposals, reports and supporting literature.
You don’t mind…
- potential occasional working outside of work hours when approaching deadlines or when required at networking events
- potential travel
- Pressurised environment, striving to meet targets
Whilst this career is open to all graduates, a degree or Higher National Qualification in one of the following subjects is advantageous to gain relevant technical and product knowledge:
- Business information systems or technology
- Business management
- Computer science, software engineering or computer engineering
A background in sales such as retail experience can also demonstrate relevant skills to employers.
Experience demonstrating your ability to build customer relationships and exceed targets is also useful. This can be gained through roles in telemarketing.
Search all IT sales professional jobs on our vacancies page.
Article source: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/it-sales-professional