30 Aug Signs a Career as a Business Development Manager is for You
A Business Development Manager is responsible for sourcing and negotiating new business opportunities. Here are the signs you’d make a good business development manager:
- self-motivation and determination to meet or exceed targets
- strong verbal communication and relationship management skills to initiate and maintain professional relationships
- strong written communication and presentation skills
- IT literacy, including the use of spreadsheets
- teamworking skills and a collaborative approach to work
- negotiation and decision-making skills
- the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- the ability to plan and think strategically
- good numeracy skills and the ability to analyse sales figures.
You want to…
- research and source new business opportunities – including new markets, growth areas, trends, customers, partnerships, products and services
- generate leads and cold call prospective customers
- meet with customers/clients
- initiate and maintain relationships with customers/clients
- set goals to develop the business
- draw up client contracts
- advise customers on the business’ products and services
- collaborate with the marketing department on promotional strategy
- keep abreast of trends and changes in the sector.
You don’t mind…
- mostly office-based work
- occasional working outside of office hours on short-term projects
- a pressured environment with a need to meet targets on time
- frequent travel
- Business attire
This career path is open to all graduates but a degree in one of the following subjects may be advantageous:
- Business studies
- International relations
A degree would also give you access to graduate schemes.
Otherwise, apprenticeships are available at various levels, combining studying with paid work.
Another route into this role is through entry-level positions in sales for example or marketing and then completing training in the workplace.
Search all business development jobs on our vacancies page.
Article source: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/business-development-manager